The article I read was ” McDonald’s Is not Our Kind of
Place” written by Amitai Etzioni and published in Composing with Confidence:
Writing Effective Paragraphs and essays and believes that students shouldn’t
have jobs in high school because it
takes them away from their academics.
About two thirds of high school juniors and seniors have part time jobs
in fast food chains like McDonalds. He argues that at McDonalds there is little
room for initiative creativity, self-discipline and self- scheduling. Jobs undermine
school attendance and involvement. McDonalds closes late and then have cleanup
after; therefore, it interferences with getting their homework done. In fast
food chains they have teens supervising teens to keep the costs down. There is
no mature adult figure to provide a role model or guidance. Rarely is there
much worth learning. Today teen pay may be low by adult standards but is
substantial. Many teens find the instant reward of money and the youth status symbols
it buys more alluring than school credits.
I agree with Amaitai on most everything he stated. I agree
that working and going to school at the same time interferes with their school
work. I also think that students should work while in school because it shows responsibly
and time management skills that they will need when they go to college. I have people get there pay check and then go
spend it on status symbols. I think that if students learn how to manage more
than one thing at a time it will be beneficial for them in their future.
I thought that this article was my favorite of the two that we got to read. This article was very eye opening and made me realize that I probably should have focused more on school while I was in high school that have a job while I was in high school. They had many good reasons and I will keep that in mind when my brother is looking for a job and encourage him to not get a job like that.
ReplyDeleteI agree with what you said how working at an early age will help the students when they go to college and they will learn how to manage their time and be responsible. Yea its true that when they get out of high school they will be own their own and they need to learn how to deal with different type of situations and by working at an early age it will give them those experience to deal with those problems. Plus all the jobs out in the society are based on how much experience he or she had.
ReplyDelete