The article I read was “Dear Dads: Save Your Sons” by
Christopher N. Bacorn and was published by Newsweek
on December 6th, 1992. This
article is about 15 year old boy who is in a gang, into alcohol, violence and
failing grades due to his father leaving. He became more unmanageable and hurt
someone in a fight. The mother expressed
her concerns to Bacorn. She wishes that he had a male role model in his life.
The counselor Bacorn tried talking to him but that didn’t work because he
thought there was nothing wrong with him.
He also talks about, what has happened to the fathers? Where are they?
Bacorn says they aren’t at PTA meetings or holding a sick child in a
pediatrician’s office they are at home, golf course, drinking, or fishing.
Bacorn talks about how poverty prevention concepts says that if fathers were to
spend time with their children it would cause less hunger and fewer
pregnancy’s. Bacorn told the mother to try and get him to play sports so he can
be around other boys would expose him to teamwork, cooperation and friendly
competition. That didn’t work he said “it is for dorks” so the boy told his mom
it was time to leave. This left Bacorn with a measure of hopelessness.
I thought this article was very interesting. I believe that
it is very important for a child to have a father in their life. I have seen
what it does to families when the father leaves. It leads to alcohol, drugs and
violence. The sad part is that fathers leaving family’s happen more than we
actual realize. Fathers need to put their kids before themselves, meaning that
they need to set time away from their activity’s to spend with their child.
I enjoyed the article that you wrote I always wonder if there were more fathers in their kids life would there really be less violence and maby less teen pregnancies in the U.S.? One can only wonder.I really think and hope dead beat dads meet their maker in the end.
ReplyDeleteYeah I agree, this article was very interesting as well! I agree with you, fathers leaving is way to common these days and they do need to put their kids before themselves but, I also think it depends on the situation he is in with the mother too. Sometimes two people can't or shouldn't be together just because they have kids in their lives. Maybe the father leaving was the only choice he had and the only way for the child to deal with the stress and sadness of the dad leaving, he felt he could only turn to alcohol and drugs and gang membership to feel accepted.
ReplyDelete